Featured Post

ReStore ReClaimed & RePurposed

Procurement of Style: Maybe you noticed the mysterious little blue tags on items that read “Procurement” while shopping at Ourtowns Re...

Friday, May 6, 2016

The Droid You've Been Looking For

15" tall BB-8 Droid Valentine's Mailbox DIY for less than $20



The Back Story
Walking through the halls of my son's elementary school on my way to help in his classroom I saw some of the most amazing works of art I have ever seen lined up against the walls. There were man eating flowers, Ghostbusters, angry birds, Mario, monsters, robots, tiny cities, mine craft, and anything and everything you could think of that a young child would be in too made from all types of craft and art media. Did I miss an email or a letter?! Was there some sort of Folk Art festival we were supposed to be crafting for?! Upon closer examination of these exhibits, I discovered that they were Valentine's Mailboxes for each kid in school. Quickly realizing what Noah had meant earlier that week when I had handed him a shoe box with a hole filled with various Valentine's themed decorating supplies for him to cover and glue with and he told me "that's not right." 
After school that day Noah and I got to work brainstorming some mailbox ideas. I was not surprised when he decided he wanted to make a BB-8 Droid after recently seeing the new Star Wars movie.

The Build
Where to start? Admittedly, I had to start with searching the Web to see what a BB-8 was exactly and happily agreed when I saw it was no more than a sphere with a bowl head. The next obstical was finding materials that would lightweight but durable enough for a 6 year old to carry without breaking that could quickly be assembled and ready to go to school the next morning.

We found this 10.5" plastic hamster running ball at the Restore for $3.


I removed the screws to make 2 halves.

Using longer screws and thread spools, I screwed the 2 halves back together leaving out the 2 front screws to create a gap for the mailbox slot.

Next, I needed to close up the little spaces for the air holes so the cards wouldn't fall out. Noah helped wrap 2 sided tape around the 2 halves of the ball to secure plastic shrink wrap commonly used for wrapping gift baskets in place while we shrank with a heat gun. I used a hobby knife and cut away the plastic to reveal the "mail slot."


I flipped one of the door pieces upside down and reattached it to the ball to make a flat bottom to keep the ball from rolling. 


Noah painted the shrink wrapped ball and a plastic tupperware mixing bowl (the head) with white paint.


I glued another plastic bowl to the inside of this dome bottom side down to create the head base.

We used orange electrical tape and silver duct tape to decorate. The big eye lens is a ceiling fan adapter for sloped ceilings found at the ResSore for $.50. Antennas were made from a cordless home phone base and handset ($2 .00).  The small sensor is one of the feet off of the cordless phone base. We added detail with a silver permanent marker and attached the head to the base by using self adhesive velcro. 


ReStore Receipt Recap:
Hamster Ball - $3
Fan adapter - $.50
Cordless phone - $2.00
2 plastic bowls - $1.00
Total = $6.50

Other materials used purchased from ReStore left over from past projects
Orange tape - $2.00
Silver duct tape - $3.00
2 sided tape - $2.00
Velcro - $1.00
Shrink wrap - $1.00
White Craft Paint - $.75
Total = $9.75
Grand Total = $16.25

I may not know a whole lot about Star Wars Movies or characters, but I do know what the retail price tag for these action figures and toys are. Not only is the ability to create this guy for under $20 a monumental savings, but being able to spend quality time with my son bringing his vision to life, is priceless to me.

Have a Happy Valentine's Day!
Until next time
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment